With spring temperatures turning up the heat, most have predicted it to be a scorcher of a summer. This week, a customer visiting from "up north" commented on how surprised she was at the amount of sun dresses in various shops. "I noticed there are a lot of dresses? Is this a southern style thing? There aren't nearly as many at home." Well... maybe? While southern girls do love a good outfit & may have a flair for cutesy pastels, it is also a necessity & often a challenge to dress for the southern summer heat. Light weight cuts & fabrics that fight the humidity & pack the perfect amount of polish for the occasion are definitely what summer goals are made of. Below we listed 5 of our favorite tricks & trends for staying cool this summer.
1. Off the Shoulder Styles: This trend is great to expose the shoulders (good-bye tan lines) and usually has a breezy body that gives you a bit of relief when strolling around town. Try It Tip: Either in a dress or top!
2. To-Go Cup: While Savannah is known for to-go beverages, one trick I've been swearing by is the Yeti Mug (a couple local shops on Broughton Street sell them). Once filled with ice in the morning it will last all day (even through hot yoga), just add water or another concoction as needed. Try It Tip: Add a thick lemon wedge for lasting freshness all day.
3. Sensible Shoes: A major accessory to any outfit, shoes in Savannah can be tough. Between the historic sidewalks & outdoor parties, navigating footwear is essential to staying put together. Sweaty and swollen feet are a nuisance at any event, take into account where the day might take you. Try it Tip: Never underestimate the power of a cork wedge or metallic sandal, both can be dressed up!
4. Braided Babes: Between graduations & weddings, there are lots of photo opp's leaving you hoping to look your best. If the weather forecast is looking toasty or you have a long day of events, try a braided updo. Keeping your hair out of your face & off your neck will have you steps ahead of the inevitable last-ditch-effort-to-stay-cool pony tail and leave you camera ready. Tip to Try: One of our favorite braid how-to experts to watch is Missy Sue, check her out to learn a new technique! http://missysue.com/
5. Sundresses Sundresses: A cute sundress can take you a long way! Dress it up or dress it down depending on jewelry & shoes. A good casual dress can go from bathing suit cover up to lunch at the cafe. Tip to Try: Find one in a simple shape & solid color when packing for vacation. It will save room in your luggage and you will be able to change up your look easily!